Getting Rid of Your Ingrown Toenail at Home
I’ve got an Ingrown Toenail! Can I Treat it at Home?
In short, probably. However, it may take several days and a good deal of maintenance. Plus, there are a few instances in which you should contact our office right away, including:
- You have diabetes, as the condition increases your risk of complications.
- You have any medical conditions that affect your immune system, circulation, or peripheral nerve function.
- Your ingrown toenail shows signs of infection, including pus under the nail, fever, and swollen skin.
- Your pain is severe and prevents you from doing everyday activities.
- Your ingrown toenails keep recurring (our podiatrists can help you get to the root of the problem!).
Ultimately, we recommend you seek professional treatment if you want to minimize your risk of complications and relieve pain quickly. However, there are options available if you don’t have the time or ability to come in for an appointment right away.
How Can I Treat My Ingrown Toenails at Home?
If you decide to take the self-treatment route, we recommend trying a few non-surgical ingrown toenail treatment steps, including:
- Soak your feet in warm water and a little Epsom salt for around 15 minutes, repeating this step at regular intervals. This will help relieve pain and inflammation. Just remember to dry your feet thoroughly afterward!
- Gently massage the skin away from your ingrown toenail, placing a piece of clean waxed dental floss under the edge of the nail to avoid snagging the skin.
- Apply antibiotic cream to the skin around the nail to mitigate the risk of infection.
- Wear roomy shoes that don’t rub your toenail and keep the nail trimmed straight across.
Do not (we repeat – DO NOT) try to cut out the toenail at home. At-home “surgeries” will significantly increase your risk of infection and are unlikely to work. If you don’t see any improvement within a few days of trying the steps listed above, book an appointment with one of our podiatrists.
Enjoy Fast, Safe, and Cost-Effective Ingrown Toenail Treatment with Premier Podiatry Group!
While home treatments can resolve the symptoms of ingrown toenails for a lucky few, many people require professional treatment. Visiting our office will help you get back on your feet in no time, while significantly reducing your risk of developing complications.
So, what can you expect when visiting our treatment office? Firstly, we’ll assess the severity of your ingrown toenail and ask a few questions about your general health. From there, we’ll work out a treatment plan. If your ingrown toenail is relatively mild, we’ll probably gently lift and trim the toenail. For more severe or recurrent cases, we may recommend removing the entire ingrown edge of your nail to prevent regrowth.
Rest assured all surgical procedures are performed using local anesthesia, so you won’t feel any pain. What’s more, the recovery time will be very minimal, and you’ll be able to return to most daily activities right away!
So, what are you waiting for? Get in touch today at (814) 472-2660 to book an appointment and discuss your ingrown toenail treatment options.